It is in medieval times when we have the first written witnesses about the village. Some documents of the 10th century mention it with the names of Petra scissa and Petra cortada. The castle of Peratallada, around which the population was sheltered, was the center of the barony that belonged to the Peratallada lineage, documented since the eleventh century. The castle is proven to have existed in 1065 but some architectural structures seem to show that this nucleus already had a fortress from earlier. The fortified nucleus is built on a huge base of natural sandy rock, artificially cut to give it verticality. The rocky mound rises 4 or 5 meters above the surrounding terrain. Above it rises the great castle, with its characteristic keep, and the magnificent palace, facing east, which overlooks the Plaza del Castillo. The wall surrounding the main tower adapts to the irregular shape of the hill and reaches a considerable height. Remains of battlements can also be seen, giving a great attraction and mysticism to the construction. The tall keep, the hallmark of the town, is rectangular in plan, crowned by square battlements. It has a voussoir door and had an intermediate wooden floor. It is built with rows of squared ashlars.