The town of Peratallada is the point of contact of the hilly area of land Gavarres baixempodenesa of page, left the river Gorda. The village, which is declared a historic-artistic and cultural heritage of national interest (BCIN), is one of the most important centers of Catalonia's medieval architecture. In an extraordinary charm and beauty, retains its old feudal aspect, with narrow and winding, with numerous inlets and outlets, where the fortified castle with its Tower of Homage and Palau (s.XI-XIV) the walls (XII-XIII) and St. Stephen's Church (Romanesque early thirteenth century). It also emphasizes the great moat around the town, carved into the rock. The population is all of it based on the rock of sandstone, carved in various ways.
The name Petra Petra Cut or scissa is documented, apparently from the tenth century Later the name is mentioned with few changes either in the village or lineage Peratallada different character, which eventually became one of the most important root-low Empordà.
Thus, for example, in 1062 there is mention of Bernardi Patra Taliada the 1065 Castro appears Petra Taliata. The 1088 Petrataliata are written, the 1111 Taliata Petra, Petra Talata in 1112, the 1128 and Patra Taiata Incisa Petra, Petra TAYAD in 1143, the 1169 and 1173 Petra engraved in 1202 and 1222 Petricissa etc. ....
In medieval times when we have the first written records about the town. SX Some documents mention the names of Petra and Petra scissa cut. Peratallada Castle, around which remained sheltered population, was the center of the barony belonging to that lineage Peratallada documented from the eleventh century. The castle can be seen that there was 1065, but some architectural structures seem to show that there was a core strength from older. The town is fortified acimbellat atop a huge natural rock sandstone plinth, cut artificially to give verticality. The rocky hill rises 4 or 5 feet above the surrounding terrain. Above them rises the great castle, with its towers caraterística Tribute, and the magnificent palace, facing east, overlooking the Plaza del Castillo. The wall surrounding the tower adapts to the irregular shape of the hill and reaches a considerable height. You can also see the remains of battlements give a very attractive building and mysticism. High Tower of Homage, the hallmark of the town is rectangular, square topped by battlements. It has a door lintel and had a wooden intermediate floor. It is built with ashlar squared lines.
Peratallada was one of the best fortified towns in Catalonia. The defensive system was composed of three areas of wall. The main campus was the castle in the center and the other two were large eaves and advanced towards the north and east. The three walls, curtains and high towers were protected by deep valleys carved into the rock. This pit, ignored chronology and questionable in places where today is visible, a depth of 7 to 8 meters. In a drawing of Service Cataloging Monuments of the Province of Barcelona is an ideal reconstruction of muralles.Trobem population divided into three sectors, each of which has its walled. All three are closed, according to this hypothesis, completely foreign to each other, completely encircled, each with walls and towers and valleys. Only communicate with one another using a hypothetical bridges located around the rampart.
The sectors currently less malmenats the walls can be seen to the north and northwest. They belong in the larger fragments in the northern area, in part, on the grounds surrounding the main castle palau. At the north end of the town there is a large canvas parallel to the road, with rectangular towers and high walls, which opens the Portal of the Virgin, the only well-preserved city walls. To get there you must pass a bridge over the valleys, in that place, great spectacle, which is better preserved.
The vaults of medieval
Peratallada has retained its rural character, maintaining fidelity to its origins architectural and urban. It can be said that has not been expanded beyond the perimeter of the walls. The town still retains its medieval urban layout. From the main square, with its unique archways to the plot of narrow alleys where you can find an interesting collection of popular architecture. Walls of older homes still maintain characteristic is the sixteenth. The traditional house is usually low Peratallada covered with stone vaults, and cellars used for storage, while the upper floor is dedicated to cockpit. There may be yet another kind of floor to attic or barn and often a large yard or exit or was behind it.
Gastronomic and commercial
In addition to its architectural and historical attractions, the town is known for its large range of craft and especially food. The streets are filled with numerous kernel and evocative restaurants of all kinds, offering the perfect complement to a visit to the town.
Berenguer de Cruïlles (1310 - 1362), bishop of Girona and first president of the Generalitat of Catalonia was a native of this town.